Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Understanding Social Media Etiquette



With everyone and their mother (literally….) on Facebook, and even Twitter, what crosses the line when it comes to getting too personal? We’ve all seen the statuses that make you roll your eyes, or cringe because they are just sharing too much information. This article in Forbes, inspired by the writer’s peer who was little miffed about finding out about an ex-coworker’s death and relative’s cancer diagnosis on Facebook, recommends 12 social media etiquette rules to keep in mind before you answer  Facebook’s “How are you doing?” and click share.

  1. Is this message meant for a specific group of people only?
  2. Does anyone care about what I’m about to share? 
  3.  Is this status offensive to anyone who may see it? Does it matter? 
  4.  Is this message appropriate for social media or should it be communicated differently? 
  5.  How many times have I shared on social media today? More than 3 times is not recommended… 
  6.  How’s my grammar/spelling? 
  7.  Will I be OK with absolutely anyone seeing this message associated with my name? 
  8.  Is this message too vague? 
  9.  Is this post an emotional ranting session? Maybe there is a different outlet for overly emotional thoughts? 
  10.  Am I using too many abbreviations and what is that saying about me if I am? 
  11.  Am I just hastily reacting to something without thinking it through? 
  12.  Should I really be sharing this or is this just venting?

To read the entire article, click here.

For more information on social media– and all other marketing services – contact Sagefrog Marketing Services. Visit www.sagefrog.com or call 215-230-9024.

No comments: